SIWI WWW 2021 - Water co-operation for strengthening peace, security and sustainability
This session is convened by The Geneva Water Hub, The Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE), The Stockholm International Water Institute (SIWI) and The Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC).
Supporting co-operation in transboundary basins provides opportunities for strengthening bilateral and regional co-operation to promote stability, security, sustainable development and peace. Water diplomacy can lead to improved relations among countries and communities enhance security and prosperity and protect the environment. In this session we will specifically discuss:
- Best practices in transboundary water management from the OSCE area
- The links between sustainable water management and security
- Importance of partnerships in water co-operation with implications for the resilience of local communities
The full programme is available below. (the session will be in English with Russian interpretation)
The Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE)
- Ambassador Guy Bonvin, Special Envoy for Water in Central Asia, Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC).
- Elizabeth A. Yaari, Operations Lead and Senior Programme Manager, Transboundary Water Cooperation, Stockholm International Water Institute (SIWI).
- Christian Bréthaut, Scientific Director, Geneva Water Hub.
With interventions by:
- Hanna Plotnykova, Environmental Affairs Officer, UNECE Water Convention Secretariat
- Tais Reznikova, Water Initiatives Support Programme specialist, The Regional Environmental Centre for Central Asia (CAREC)
Moderator: Saule Ospanova, Head, Environmental Cooperation Unit, OSCE.
More information and registration here.